Number of players: 14+
Age group: 10+
Necessary equipment: benches, 4-10 balls, cones
How to play
- Set up a playing area with a bench at either end, and a line of cones down the middle.
- Split the group up into two teams.
- Each team stands one one side of the playing area.
- One member of each team stands on the bench opposite their team's area.
- Each team is given an even number of balls.
- Teams aim to throw their balls to their teammate on the bench, while at the same time defending to stop the other team from getting balls to their team member.
- For each ball they catch, the team scores one point.
- The player must remain on the bench when catching; if they fall of in the process the point does not count.
- Play ends after a certain number of points or a certain amount of time.
- Larger teams may wish to have multiple players on the bench, and use longer benches.
Bench Team Ball
Instead of scoring points, when the bench player catches the ball, the player who threw the ball joins them on the bench. The game stops when one team gets all their players onto the bench.
Instead of benches, a row of cones is placed at each end of the playing area. This variation is safer if the players are not confident on the bench. It also gives players more space to move around.